Northwest is a 495 bed system serving the city of Amarillo and the surrounding region. We offer the
ideal combination of traditional values and the most advanced technologies in healthcare, plus the
conveniences of big city living in a friendly, smaller-town atmosphere. From the beauty of Palo Duro
Canyon and great recreational facilities, to our quality educational system, Amarillo is a great place to
live and work.
A hospital is only as good as its caregivers. That's why we're looking for allied health professionals
who are dedicated and passionate about their work. We're looking for employees who can add to our
culture of exemplary patient care and personal excellence. We're looking for exceptional professionals
who share our vision and values.
Visit us online at: https://www.nwths.com/careers
JOB TITLE: COOK/BAKERY
POSITION SUMMARY: The Cook is responsible for the preparation and cooking of food items for patients, cafeteria
and catering, with emphasis on quality. Follows strict sanitation guidelines set up by the State of Texas Health Department.
KEY PERFORMANCE FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
I. SERVICE EXCELLENCE
Demonstrates three service excellence competencies.
II. HOUSEWIDE REQUIREMENTS
Meets the organization's expectations regarding house-wide requirements.
III. PROVISION OF SERVICES
1. Prepare and garnish food for patient, cafeteria, and catering services, following standardized recipes.
2. Meet or exceed quality standards through periodic tasting for palatability and consistency,
cooking/serving temperatures, and visual inspection.
3. Follow appropriate menu and production guide for food.
4. Exhibit basic skills in food preparation and equipment utilization/safety, organization, and planning of
production to meet menu demands.
5. Maintain food temperatures through entire preparation cycle.
6. Use food-handling techniques as set in departmental policies and procedures.
7. Store unused food items labeling and dating.
8. Report needed repairs and/or supplies to manager.
9. Clean all worktables, ovens, fryers, grill, steam kettle, refrigerators and stove following the posted
10. Regularly attends and actively participates in departmental and other meetings.
11. Assure that the Dietary Department meet the State, Medicare, The Joint Commission and other
12. Other duties assigned.
• Challenging and rewarding work environment
• Competitive Compensation and Generous Paid Time Off
• Excellent Medical, Dental, Vision and Prescription Drug Plans
• 401(K) with company match and discounted stock plan
• SoFi Student Loan Refinancing Program
• Career development opportunities within UHS and its 300+ Subsidiaries!
• Tuition Reimbursement
• Retention Bonus Program
• Loan Forgiveness Program
One of the nation's largest and most respected providers of hospital and healthcare services, Universal
Health Services, Inc. (UHS) has built an impressive record of achievement and performance. Growing
steadily since its inception into an esteemed Fortune 500 corporation, annual revenues were $11.6
billion in 2020. In 2021, UHS was again recognized as one of the World's Most Admired Companies
by Fortune; in 2020, ranked #281 on the Fortune 500; and listed #330 in Forbes ranking of U.S.' Largest
Public Companies. Headquartered in King of Prussia, PA, UHS has 89,000 employees and through its
subsidiaries operates 26 acute care hospitals, 334 behavioral health facilities, 39 outpatient facilities and
ambulatory care access points, an insurance offering, a physician network and various related services
located in 38 U.S. states, Washington, D.C., Puerto Rico and the United Kingdom.
(Contact information: Name, Title, Phone & Email) IF APPLICABLE FOR HARD TO FILL POSITIONS *NOT
REQUIRED It is a good idea to include contact information in the job posting. This provides applicants an
opportunity to talk with someone to gather more information, get answers to questions, and helps to
avoid drop-offs if there are technical issues preventing the online application.
EDUCATION, TRAINING, EXPERIENCE AND LICENSES/REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED:
1. High School graduate or GED preferred.
2. Institutional cooking experience required (1 - 3 years).
3. Good written and verbal communication skills.
4. Typing and basic computer skills preferred.
5. Prefer candidate has either food handler or ServSafe Certification.
6. Must successfully complete the pre-employment assessment.
Physical and Sensory Requirements:
1. Ability to read and write English.
2. Ability to communicate with staff, physicians, support agencies, vendors, and others.
3. Ability to remain calm under stress.
4. Close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus, with or without
5. Significant walking or other means of mobility. Ability to work in a standing position for long periods of time (up
to 8 hours).
6. Ability to reach, bend, stoop, push and/or pull, and frequently lift up to 35 pounds and occasionally lift/move 40
7. Quantitative/mathematical ability (addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, standard/metric measurement).
8. Will be subjected to cold when entering refrigerator and freezer as well as fumes from chemicals, cooking odors,
gases and odors from patient rooms.
9. Potential hazards from cuts from knives and meat slicer and/or burns from cooking and heating surfaces.
MACHINES, TOOLS, EQUIPMENT, AND WORK AIDS USED:
1. Occasionally subjected to long and/or irregular hours
2. Frequent/strenuous physical effort (e.g. lifting, moving heavy objects, etc.)
3. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to loud.
Northwest Texas Healthcare System, a subsidiary of UHS, is not accepting unsolicited assistance from
search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted
by search firms to any employee at UHS via-email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without
a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of UHS. No
fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by UHS as a result of the referral or through other
All UHS subsidiaries are committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where equal
employment opportunities are available to all applicants and teammates. UHS subsidiaries are equal
opportunity employers and as such, openly support and fully commit to recruitment, selection, placement,
promotion and compensation of individuals without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex (including
pregnancy, gender identity, and sexual orientation), genetic information, national origin, disability status,
protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
We believe that diversity and inclusion among our teammates is critical to our success.
At UHS and all our subsidiaries, our Human Resources departments and recruiters are here to help
prospective candidates by matching skillset and experience with the best possible career path at UHS
and our subsidiaries. We take pride in creating a highly efficient and best in class candidate experience.
During the recruitment process, no recruiter or employee will request financial or personal information
(Social Security Number, credit card or bank information, etc.) from you via email. The recruiters will not
email you from a public webmail client like Hotmail, Gmail, Yahoo Mail, etc. If you are suspicious of a job
posting or job-related email mentioning UHS or its subsidiaries, let us know by contacting us at:
https://uhs/alertline.com or 1-800-852-3449