At Amarillo College, our students are the priority. It is our mission and our responsibility to enrich their lives by helping them identify an educational pathway that will lead to success in life. It is therefore required that every team member, regardless of job title or duties, be responsible, first and foremost, for assisting students in every way.
We are accepting applications for full time Faculty in Vocational Nursing who will adhere to the aforementioned mission statement and who will teach courses in assigned discipline. Teaching responsibilities include time spent in the classroom, laboratory, tech-supported, or online courses and in immediate preparation for respective courses, maintaining and improving competence in subjects being taught.GENERAL QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTSEDUCATION: Required:
Bachelor's Degree in Nursing.Preferred
: Master's Degree preferably in Nursing; if a Master's Degree in a discipline other than nursing must hold a BSN from an approved or accredited Baccalaureate Program in Nursing.CREDENTIAL REQUIREMENTS:
Degrees, experiences, and certificates must be in the proposed teaching or service area and must meet any accreditation requirement applicable to the program or institution. The appropriate Presidents Cabinet member must expressly approve any exceptions in writing. Certification, licensure, or registration counts toward placement only in programs in which one or more of these is required for accreditation of that program.EXPERIENCE: Required:
Three (3) years of recent experience in the industry.Preferred:
Minimum five (5) years' work experience in business and industry. Must have some teaching experience.CERTIFICATES/LICENSES:
Must hold a current unencumbered license to practice as a Registered Nurse (RN) in the State of Texas.KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Ability to work with and motivate students.
- Ability to demonstrate excellent teaching skills.
- Ability to work under stress.
- Ability to work well with a team or independently.
- Excellent oral, written and listening skills, including computer skills sufficient for email, course development and course management.
- Judgement and decision making ability.
- Must be able to deal with people in a professional manner.
- Willing to teach on satellite campuses, in class or online as needed.
- Must be able to work with nontraditional students and students with disabilities.
Faculty (iCare) Ideals:
- Exhibit effective teaching in Nursing courses with a willingness to learn new software applications as needed.
- Demonstrate commitment to student success, innovation, collaboration and instructional quality.
- Perform teaching activities, including classroom instruction, directing projects, and assisting with student coursework, research and internships.
- Plan, develop and present organized classroom instructions and learning opportunities for students in accordance with approved course outlines.
- Teach day and/or evening courses as required.
- Teach off-campus, dual credit and online courses as required.
- Demonstrate and maintain competence in the use of instructional technology.
- Demonstrate competence in his/her teaching field and related technologies.
- Develop curriculum.
- Prepare syllabus i.e., determine course content that is consistent with the catalog description.
- Select instructional materials (textbooks).
- Participate in faculty renewal and development programs.
- Attend briefings on procedures, advising, registration, and general policy.
- Assist with registration. Participate in recruitment activities.
- Complete appropriate administrative paperwork and performance evaluations in a timely manner.
- Educate themselves regarding College policies.
- Provide extra help to students outside of class (not for pay).
- Ensure effective two-way communication at all levels of responsibility.
- Participate in department, division and college meetings as assigned or required.
- Assume responsibility for the orderliness of the learning environment and in the appropriate and safe use of instructional facilities and equipment.
- Attend faculty meetings, general assembly, and commencement.
- Participate in and complete performance assessments/evaluations as assigned.
- Perform additional related duties as required.
- As an Amarillo College employee, seek knowledge of and pledge to actively engage in a culture of caring striving to serve students, peers and the community by embracing the Faculty (iCare) Ideals.
- Innovation: Actively engaging in AC's culture of caring by embracing the ideal of innovation to serve students, peers and the community.
- Collegiality: Actively engaging in AC's culture of caring by embracing the ideal of collegiality to serve students, peers and the community.
- Amenability: Actively engaging in AC's culture of caring by embracing the ideal of amenability to serve students, peers and the community.
- Rigor: Actively engaging in AC's culture of caring by embracing the ideal of academic rigor to serve students, peers and the community.
- Engagement: Actively engaging in AC's culture of caring by embracing the ideal of engagement to serve students, peers and the community.
The teaching load for full-time faculty will normally consist of 15 load hours or equivalent assignments. Faculty are assigned by their chair to teach in their major fields, insofar as possible. They may, however, be assigned to teach in their minor fields in accordance with standards of accrediting associations. (Responsibilities for Non-teaching faculty will be individually prescribed).Proportional Assignments:
Full-time faculty appointed for less than a 15-load-hour assignment per semester shall receive accrued benefits proportional to the percentage of appointment.Overload Assignments:
Overload teaching may also be assigned as needed by the department chair (as referenced in the \"Overload Assignments\" section of the \"Faculty Handbook). Pay for overload teaching will be based on the Part-time Instructor Salary Schedule rates. Office Hours:
Full-time faculty members must have regular office hours for teaching preparation, student advising, and other incidental tasks required for teaching. The schedule of classroom and office hours must be posted as soon after registration as possible.Advising Requirements:
Faculty will serve as academic advisors based on a divisional or departmental advising plan. The number of advisees will vary depending on the number of majors in a division. Adjustments in other responsibilities or compensation may be made if it is necessary for a faculty member to be the advisor for more than sixty students.Committee Assignments:
Each faculty member will normally be assigned membership on at least one institutional committee but may not be required to serve on more than three committees.Supervisory Responsibilities:
This position may include supervisory responsibilities. Carry out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities may include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.Physical Demands:
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to stand; walk; sit for extended periods; and have sufficient hand, arm and finger dexterity to operate a computer keyboard and other office equipment.Work Environment:
This job is located in Amarillo, Texas and may operate in a classroom, online, or tech supported setting. This role routinely uses standard classroom and office equipment such as microphones, audio/video-recorders, computers, overhead projectors, phones, copy machines, filing cabinets and fax machines.Personal Appearance:
Employees are required to dress appropriately for the position and keep self's well groomed. Employees must maintain professionalism in demeanor, work-style and dress.Travel Expectations:
Any travel essential for this position requires the employee to adhere to the Amarillo College Travel Policy as written. Purchasing Expectations:
Any purchasing responsibilities or activity essential for this position requires the employee to adhere to the Amarillo College Purchasing Policy as written.Salary:
New faculty members will be placed appropriately on the College salary schedule established for their category of employment. When determining an employee's placement on the appropriate College salary schedule, the employee's position, responsibilities, experience, education, and years of service shall be considered.Diversity and Inclusion Statement
Amarillo College is committed to hiring and retaining a racially diverse, culturally competent staff at all levels of the organization who not only reflect the demographics of our clients but also continue to deepen their skills and competencies to serve the full range of our customers.Promotional Opportunity Policy
Under the Amarillo College Promotional Opportunity Policy, only current appointed or part-time non-appointed employees will be considered for a position during the first five (5) working days from notice or posting.