At Amarillo College, our students are the priority. It is our mission and our responsibility to enrich their lives by helping them identify an educational pathway that will lead to success in life. It is therefore required that every team member, regardless of job title or duties, be responsible, first and foremost, for assisting students in every way.
We are currently seeking a Full -Time Basic Skills Teacher II for our Child Care Center who will adhere to the aforementioned mission statement, and who will be directly responsible and accountable for providing a nurturing environment that supports national standards for the education of young children. The qualified candidate will instruct preschool children in learning basic skills, and build positive relationships between children, and with families and children. These responsibilities require teaching and instruction of learning activities and providing positive guidance with assigned children.GENERAL QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTSEDUCATION:Required:
High School Diploma or GED.Preferred:
Associate's Degree in Child Development or Early Childhood Education.CERTIFICATES AND LICENCES:Preferred:
- Must have a valid Class C Texas Driver's License with a 3-year safe driving record.
- CDA Certification in Infant/Toddler and/or Preschool Certification.
- CPR and Pediatric First Aid certificate.
EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING:Required:
- Must be 18 years of age or older.
- In accordance with Texas state law and licensing rules of the Texas Department of Family and Protective Services, persons employed in this position will be subject to a Child Care Criminal History Check (TDPRS Form 2971), FBI Fingerprinting, and Tuberculosis test.
- 30 clock hours of additional training required annually.
- 1 year of experience in a licensed childcare setting.
- Clear Background History.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- 2 years of experience in caring for young children in a group situation.
- Experience in working in an NAEYC accredited program, a Four Star program in the Rising Star system, or Head Start Program.
JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Proficient Communication Skills.
- Critical Thinking and Active Listening Skills.
- Customer Service Mindset.
- Dependability and Integrity.
- Effective Organizational and Task Prioritization Skills.
- Build positive relationships between children, and with families and children.
- Responsible for the lesson plans and for positive guidance with assigned children (Curriculum Implementation).
- Take the lead in the teaching and instruction of learning activities aligned to department goals. Supervise playground activities. Provide a safe environment for performance of work and play. Promote and protect children's health and controlling infectious diseases.
- Maintain effective office organization and accurate records retention management to ensure all records and supporting documentation are maintained in accordance with federal, state, and local regulations and policies.
- Required to interact with all levels of departmental personnel, students, parents, community members, and management in a professional manner.
- Participate in and complete performance assessments/evaluations as assigned.
- Perform other related duties as required.
- As an Amarillo College employee, seek knowledge of and pledge to actively engage in a culture of caring striving to serve students, peers and the community by embracing the AC Core Values: Wow, Family, Fun, Innovation, and Yes!
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to travel between offices and buildings, and requires the ability to lift, carry, push, pull and/or maneuver office supplies as needed. Performs physical activities that require considerable use of arms, legs and moving your whole body, such as climbing, lifting, balancing, walking, stooping, and handling of materials. Employee may be required to lift children.Working Conditions:
Occasional overtime hours may be required. Overtime hours must be approved by supervisor and/or cabinet member prior to work. Employee is required to maintain required certifications of the position and attend professional development trainings.Work Environment:
This position operates in a childcare environment, requiring regular sanitation. Employee will experience daily exposure to household cleaning supplies, frequent distracting noise levels and interruptions. Self-sufficiency is critical.Salary:
Aligned with the current published salary scale for the represented position grade, commensurate with experience. Select the Position Grade below to view published salary schedule.Diversity and Inclusion Statement
Amarillo College is committed to hiring and retaining a racially diverse, culturally competent staff at all levels of the organization who not only reflect the demographics of our clients but also continue to deepen their skills and competencies to serve the full range of our customers.Promotional Opportunity Policy
Under the Amarillo College Promotional Opportunity Policy, only current appointed or part-time non- appointed employees will be considered for a position during the first five (5) working days from notice or posting.