BUSINESS UNIT NAME:
Capital Projects & Development Engineering
This position is responsible for the design and review of public works projects, providing periodic construction supervision to protect the City’s interests, assisting the City Engineer in administrating City ordinances that affect the Public Works and Director of Utilities Division’s existing facilities, assisting the public in projects that require connection to public works facilities and assuming the responsibilities of the City Engineer in his absence. Supervises and evaluates the design, survey, inspection and administrative staff for the efficient and effective completion of public works and various other City projects
- Supervises and directs department personnel in the preparation of plans and specifications for public works projects such as arterial street design and arterial storm sewer design and other City Division projects as assigned.
- Oversee the design team of surveyors, designers, engineers, and inspectors to design and construct public works projects.
- Reviews and comments on the civil engineering portions of projects prepared by the CP&DE Department and other City Divisions.
- Designs and prepares projects that include hydrological, hydraulic, street and storm sewer alignment and grade, airport paving, navigational aids, drainage, parks, public buildings and other unique public works improvements.
- Participates in public infrastructure planning, and designs and prepares project proposals.
- Supervises construction projects, including periodic inspections for compliance with plans and specifications and periodic review of materials.
- Assists department personnel in answering questions from contractors, other public entities and City departments.
- Assists Project Representatives and Engineering Assistants in obtaining repairs and maintenance for projects that have been completed.
- Prepares recommendations for Project and Consultant Contract awards.
- Investigates complaints from the public concerning potential drainage and pavement problems, recommending viable solutions.
- Reviews contractor submittals on projects.
- Reviews subdivision plats, right-of-way encumbrances agreements, development site plans, and public utility easements.
- Prepares information for deeds from traverse and existing plat data for easements, right of way dedications, property acquisitions and annexations.
- Prepares project change orders and their related redesign of construction projects.
- Prepares participation costs for projects requiring property assessments, other public entity participation, utility company participation, and/or City participation.
- Assists the City Engineer in administrating paving, utility cut, right-of-way, flood damage mitigation, platting and subdivision development ordinances.
- Provides information, documents and engineering assistance to the public, utility companies, other public entities, and railroad companies on public works and utilities projects and private projects that affect City facilities.
- Prepares and administers developer agreements for private development within City limits and the extraterritorial jurisdiction area.
- Reviews and comments on design elements of proposed and privately designed developments.
- Assists the Airport Department in preparing FAA applications, project plans, and specifications.
- Reviews and provides comments to City Engineer of street, alley, storm sewer, and drainage structure projects designed by consulting engineers that affect City facilities.
- Assists the Street Department in identifying street maintenance problems and recommend repair procedures.
- Assists the City Engineer in preparing the Department annual operating budget and capital improvement program.
- Prepares purchase specifications for engineering software, surveying equipment, and construction material testing equipment.
- Prepares engineering reports required by other public entities for proposed public works and utilities improvements.
- Assists in selecting consulting engineers for projects and engineering reports.
- Assists the City Engineer in annually updating the applicable sections of the City Standard Specifications.
- Coordinates City requirements with the Utilities Coordinating Committee.
- Assists the City Engineer in providing project information to the CDBG Citizens’ Advisory Committee through the Community Development Department.
- Assists the City Engineer in preparing NPDES required plans, applications for notices of intent and notices of termination.
- Assists the City Engineer in preparing TPDES required plans, notices of intent, notices of termination, and TCEQ project signs.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned.
Requires a Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering or related field and a minimum of six years of public works project design and/or private development design-related experience. Must be licensed as a Professional Engineer with the Texas Professional Board of Engineers or be able to obtain a license within six (6) months of hire date. Valid Texas Driver’s License Required.
*Relocation Assistance Provided
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Understanding and knowledge of the civil engineering discipline.
- Strong computer skills: Word, Excel, etc.
- Ability to effectively use highly technical computer applications, such as GIS or CAD.
- Ability to learn new software and improve processes with existing software.
- Strong verbal and written communication skill.
- Ability to operate computers and other basic office equipment.
- Ability perform complex mathematical computations
Reasonable accommodation will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position. While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is required to exert up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and/or negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects, including the human body. The employee is also required to, finger, walk, hear, speak, see, and talk. Also requires the ability to make rational decisions and preform repetitive motions.
The employee works in a dynamic environment that requires me to be sensitive to change and responsive to changing goals, priorities, and needs.