West Texas A&M UniversityDepartment
Museum OperationsProposed Minimum Salary
$3,223.03 monthlyJob Location
Canyon, TexasJob Type
The A&M System strives to maintain a competitive, high-quality benefit package to support the health and wellness needs of our diverse workforce. This includes comprehensive health and welfare insurance plans, additional health and lifestyle programs, and optional retirement savings opportunities. Eligible employees will have access to paid leave programs in addition to 13-15 paid holidays each year. For more information regarding the benefit package go to: West Texas A&M University: Human Resources Benefits
The Curator of History, under the direction of the Executive Director and Development Director, oversees the history collection of the Panhandle-Plains Historical Museum. This position is to strengthen the base of the history collection by planning, organizing, acquiring, researching, and interpreting the history collection. The Curator of History will work with the Curator of Art, the Curator of Anthropology, the Director of the Research Center, and collections staff to create unique cross discipline exhibitions as well as involve community members when necessary. This position requires one to be a practiced communicator who can help uncover the stories in the collection and make them resonate with a wide variety of audiences. Available for occasional weekend and evening work events.Responsibilities:
- Collects artifacts or works as well as manages records.
- Carries out background research.
- Writes materials and articles for the website and external publications.
- Plans, organizes, interprets, and presents exhibitions in a way that makes them accessible and engaging to the general public and ensures there is community buy in.
- Collaborates with other departments, such as education, fundraising, marketing, art and anthropology.
- Utilizes interns and students from WTAMU and other universities to help digitize and catalogue the history collection.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in History, Museum Studies, or related field, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Four years of related experience.
- Knowledge of word processing, spreadsheet, and database applications.
- Knowledge of conservation and collection management standards.
- Ability to multitask and work cooperatively with others.
- Must be comfortable working with the general public via exhibition committees and public speaking.
- Master's degree in History, Museum Studies, or related field, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Six years of related experience.
- Knowledge of American Western Heritage and Panhandle-Plains regional history.
- State and national connections within the museum and academic fields.
Please include the following with your application:
- Cover letter
- Three references
Please attach all documents in the attachment box at the bottom of the "My Experience" page before continuing through the application. Please use the "Upload" button to add each document individually. All revisions must be made prior to application submission. If you need assistance with uploading documents, please contact WTAMU Human Resources at email@example.com .
Texas law requires all males age 18 through 25 to be properly registered with the Selective Service System.
All positions are security-sensitive. Applicants are subject to a criminal history investigation, and employment is contingent upon the institution's verification of credentials and/or other information required by the institution's procedures, including the completion of the criminal history check.
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Veterans/Disability Employer committed to diversity.