At Amarillo College, our students are the priority. It is our mission and our responsibility to enrich their lives by helping them identify an educational pathway that will lead to success in life. It is therefore required that every team member, regardless of job title or duties, be responsible, first and foremost, for assisting students in every way.
We are accepting applications for Adjunct Faculty Members in varied subject areas who will adhere to the aforementioned mission statement, and perform duties primarily related to the instruction of courses in assigned disciplines. Teaching responsibilities include time spent in the classroom, laboratory, online courses, or tech supported classes, and in immediate preparation for respective courses; maintaining and improving competence in subjects being taught; and preparing teaching materials.GENERAL QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTSEDUCATION:
- Required: Master's degree in the teaching discipline or a Master's degree with at least 18 graduate hours in the teaching discipline.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Preferred: Previous post-secondary teaching experience.
JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Good oral and written command of the English language and grammar is required.
- Must understand and apply learner-centered and high impact instructional methods.
- Must have skills in computer operation, multimedia classroom instructional software, and be willing to learn new computer software.
- Must be able to work with nontraditional students and students with disabilities.
- Ability to work under stress, work independently and as a team member, and deal with students in a professional manner.
- Perform effective teaching activities, including classroom instruction, directing projects, and assisting with student coursework, research and internships.
- Plan, develop and present organized classroom instructions and learning opportunities for students in accordance with approved course outlines.
- Teach day and/or evening courses as required.
- Teach off-campus, dual credit, online, and tech supported courses as required.
- Demonstrate and maintain competence in the use of instructional technology.
- Demonstrate competence in his/her teaching field and related technologies.
- Attend briefings on procedures, advising, registration, and general policy.
- Complete appropriate administrative paperwork and performance evaluations in a timely manner.
- Educate themselves regarding College policies.
- Ensure effective two-way communication at all levels of responsibility.
- Participate in department, division and college meetings as assigned or required.
- Assume responsibility for the orderliness of the learning environment and in the appropriate and safe use of instructional facilities and equipment.
- Perform additional related duties as required.
- As an Amarillo College employee, seek knowledge of and pledge to actively engage in a culture of caring striving to serve students, peers and the community by embracing the AC Core Values: Wow, Family, Fun, Innovation, and Yes!
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand, walk, or sit for extended periods of time, and be able to move materials weighing up to 25 pounds.Accreditation Requirement:
Degrees, experiences, and certificates must be in the proposed teaching or service area and must meet any accreditation requirement applicable to the program or institution. Any exceptions must be expressly approved in writing by the appropriate Presidents Cabinet member. Certification, licensure, or registration counts toward placement only in programs in which one or more of these is required for accreditation of that program.Work Environment:
This job may operate in a classroom, online, or tech supported setting. This role routinely uses standard classroom and office equipment such as microphones, audio/video-recorders, computers, overhead projectors, phones, copy machines, filing cabinets and fax machines.Travel Expectations:
Some travel may be required for this position.Salary:
Based on Instructional Compensation Schedule. Diversity and Inclusion Statement
Amarillo College is committed to hiring and retaining a racially diverse, culturally competent staff at all levels of the organization who not only reflect the demographics of our clients but also continue to deepen their skills and competencies to serve the full range of our customers.Promotional Opportunity Policy
Under the Amarillo College Promotional Opportunity Policy, only current appointed or part-time non-appointed employees will be considered for a position during the first five (5) working days from notice or posting.